Muuurgh - Decimation

6.62 (52 ratings)
Reviews and feedback of final releases.

Muuurgh - Decimation

Postby NewSongBot » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Muuurgh has posted a new song. Please provide the artist some feedback in this thread.

Decimation
Release date: 2009-11-23
Length: 3:27
Version: 1
Tags and details: Link

2nd Place winner in the Competition Combat that was held November/December 2009!

This song is tailored to the plot synopsis prompt that was given for the competition.  Please read it and follow the description of my vision below to better understand the progression of the song.

Black screen.
Blue streaks of information go horizontally across in time with the music.
The viewer catches one follows it for a short bit until it blows up into a human walking in a city center of some sort.
Other bits of light travel past or blow up.
Catch another beam of light and the view is of the city, lights are traveling about.
At the silence, the camera zooms into a particular building's window.  When the camera zooming in around the frame, blips of light travel through the building according to the music.
Meanwhile, a person is shown from the back walking through a door and towards a telepod.  The pod teleports him and we follow his streak as it zooms off into the distance to space at the hit of the long tone.
The camera looks down on the city, the music cuts back in, and tons of blue streaks start flying around in the air.
Cue violin, our hero is walking through the desert of Arizona.
When the violin cuts, the camera is zoomed out so that the sky is the main feature (though a small hero can still be seen).  When the strings come in, whips of black energy creep into the blue and steadily increase.
Cue the low harp note, where the black cloud is devouring the sky and moving towards the city.
Cue the moving low harp notes.  Camera is shown in the city.  People's streaks are bursting into form and they are pointing to the sky and starting to panic.
As the black moves over the city, people's streaks start malfunctioning, resulting in them appearing midair and dropping to the abyss below, or forming while their streak is in the middle of a solid object, or getting stuck halfway in the transporter when the power cuts off, etc.
Love theme.

Hero's ultimatum.
_______

11/23/09 - V1 published.  Need to work on some of the dynamic levels.

NewSongBot

Very creative and technically impressive.   

Postby WarpToken » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:19 am

The opening is a bit slow and the liberties that you've taken by creating your song around an intro that may not even work in the game is very risky... I do give you props for the creativity.

It's weird because it sounds like the "data notes" are figuring themselves out in the beginning. Then they all line up and the song really begins. When the violin theme kicks in, it really is beautiful. Then that darkness slides in underneath and causes dischord... you pulled that off very smoothly. I really like that part. You also come along side the happy data notes with the low harp notes and create dark harmonies. So far so good!

This is where the song disappoints me. I don't know if it's the instrumentation you used when the bass drum comes in or whatever, but it doesn't seem intense anymore. It's in a minor key and stuff, but the instruments seem like they're too bouncy...like the high notes are frolic-ing around. For a stand-alone song, it's cool, but didn't sound right for the game's theme, in my opinion of course.

Then the love theme comes in a little out of nowhere. It's not even supported by your written storyline, so it feels a bit forced in there.

So basically I loved the first half and had higher hopes for the rest. Love the classical sound of it all...sounds very professional.

WarpToken

EXP: 67.467
Songs: 3

Wow.... well... that was really unusual!   

Postby OmNomNomNom » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:03 pm

This has got to be the most experimental out of the tracks posted... in terms of writing it's just... bizarre to me! But, I say this as a compliment. I actually really liked it! Just... not like anything I've heard before in a game, to say the least. I think it reminds me more of stuff you'd hear in a movie, especially the end, sound's like someone on the run. I'm surprised by the effect you got from such few instruments! I guess there's still that distinction between game music and movie music that makes this seem so strange for this competition. But variety is great.

I guess the biggest problem with this song for me is that I couldn't see it as the intro or outro to a game. Especially one to end on a tragic note and be generally depressing throughout it, lol. I found that deciding on a final piece to up for this comp was the hardest part. Something that really sat with the story and could stand on it's own as well. I dunno if I did that, seems to be I didn't, lol, but either way most of the points I'm rating with are given towards that idea.

So basically, this is a really unusual, interesting and creative track, but the long pauses and lack of a directing mood doesn't fit too well for this being in a game. At least not the one we had to write for. Totally an opinion thing, really.

Great work though, that was really cool!

OmNomNomNom

EXP: 14.590
Songs: 1

Return to Releases